From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Cygwin: emerge -u system issues
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:56:18
1 > This question is about reemerging ncurses and I hope to find some
2 > experience from side of the INTERIX team.
3 >
4 > While installing ncurses there is a step that burns down to this failure:
5 >
6 > <------------------->
7 >  (cd /home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r5/image//home/prefix/gentoo/usr/bin
8 > && ln -s tic.exe  infotocap.exe)
9 >
10 >      2 [main] bash 2044 child_copy: linked dll data write copy
11 > failed, 0x6CA88000..0x6CA9493C, done 0, windows pid 2044, Win32 error
13 > /home/prefix/gentoo/bin/bash: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
14 > <------------------->
17 Meanwhile I found a workaround. I have to replace "emake" with "make"
18 in the ebuild.
19
20 Still I have not found out what is the reason. For those who are
21 interested, there a two important points,
22
23 1.) Sheebang-line: #!/home/prefix/gentoo/bin/bash
24
25 While the bootstrapping itself still runs with Cygwins Bash
26 "/bin/bash", emake tries to switch to Prefix Bash by means of its
27 sheebang-line. That explains why the first built of ncurses is
28 successfull. There is no Prefix Bash at that time. Cygwins Bash is
29 used.
30
31 2.) The call to make in emake looks like this:
32
33 exec ${MAKE:-make} SHELL="${BASH:-/bin/bash}" ${MAKEOPTS} ${EXTRA_EMAKE} "$@"
34
35 $SHELL evalutes to the current BASH which is the Prefix Bash if the
36 sheebang-line was successfull.
37
38 So it's either the exec call or the different Bash which causes the issue.
39
40 I didn't investigate any further here, as it makes no sense to change
41 the emake script and there is a workaround. Anaway, maybe somebody has
42 an idea what really goes wrong.
45 Al
48 Caution crosser:  Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
49 All stupid questions are related to that context.