From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Future of x64-cygwin, x86-winnt?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:38:33
1 All,
2
3 With haubi recently retiring from the project, I've taken a close look
4 at platforms we have in use, and cleaned up a lot of them that we have
5 absolutely no means to support (any more). This includes old Darwin and
6 Solaris releases, entire support for HPUX, AIX, etc.
7
8 I've left x64-cygwin and x86-winnt untouched in that process. However,
9 x64-cygwin in particular requires a large amount of
10 (non-trivial/disturbing) patches, basically blocking our merging of the
11 Prefix overlay into gx86.
12
13 It seems to me, x64-cygwin and x86-winnt have no sponsor whatsoever at
14 this point within Gentoo, or our direct user-base. Some user that
15 submitted a lot of patches/fixes on our bugzilla in the past pointed out
16 that Cygwin is no longer necessary for him due to effortless bootstraps
17 on "WSL".
18
19 So, the inevitable question: who needs x64-cygwin/x86-winnt, and who
20 would take care of maintaining it? If noone steps up (I cannot even run
21 the platform) before Feb 1st 2021, I'll probably continue and drop these
22 two from Gentoo at some point after that.
23
24 Please chime in if you have an opinion, info, interest, etc.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Fabian
30 Fabian Groffen