From: Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:46:44
1 Hi all,
2
3 We have a prefixed Gentoo disk image here at our office that we
4 distribute to developers on OS X boxes so they can run full
5 development environments locally. It has postgresql, memcached, and
6 other goodies pre-installed with the right USE flags.
7
8 Presently, the images are pretty much fixed once they're distributed
9 -- any updates have to come from the person who made the image. It
10 seems that their username is hard-coded in some scripts and config
11 files here and there, and emerge is unhappy if run by a different
12 user. I've changed those entries manually before, but I'm wondering if
13 it's really necessary that the username be hard-coded anywhere? Would
14 it be easy to make the code user-agnostic?
15
16 It would be even more awesome to keep installs agnostic with respect
17 to where they are mounted, but I'm guessing this would be a much
18 larger undertaking, requiring more fundamental changes to portage.
19
20 Neither of these issues is a huge deal, as we're happy just
21 distributing new images from time to time and not making our devs deal
22 with system management, but there've been several times when I've
23 wanted these flexibilities from portage.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Peter
27 --