From: Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] postgreql on prefix portage, doable?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:39:38
1 Matt Michalowski wrote:
2 > rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
3 >> Does anyone know, would it be practical to run an SQL server of some
4 >> variety in Prefix Portage? It would be for prototyping only.
5 >>
6 >> Let me state at once that I have little experience with databases. I did
7 >> run mysql on native Gentoo for some time though, with no problems.
8 >>
9 >> I see that there are things like postgresql and sqlite in the prefix
10 >> tree.
11 >> Did anyone try them out?
12 >>
13 >> And what is the difference between the postgresql-server and postgresql
14 >> packages? Different packagings of the same server? (I see now that there
15 >> is a Gentoo guide and it says `emerge postgresql' very early on..)
16 >>
17 >> Rabbe Fogelholm
21 > As Fabian (MonetDB? :)) has mentioned, it is possible. I'm having some
22 > troubles with eselect-postgresql (see bug #232701) at the moment, but
23 > it's not too hard to get set up.
24 >
25 > AFAIK the difference between postgresql and postgresql-server is that
26 > postgresql-server is a newer replacement for postgresql, yet postgresql
27 > hasn't been retired yet. Likewise, dev-db/postgresql-base is a
28 > replacement for dev-db/libpq (but has the psql client, etc.)
29 >
30 > Here's an example of how you can get by without init scripts:
31 > - create a directory somewhere to hold your database + configs, ie.
32 > ~/pgdata
33 > - run the initdb tool, which sets up the default config + database:
34 > # initdb -D ~/pgdata
35 >
36 > - start the server
37 > # pg_ctl -D ~/pgdata -l ~/pgdata/logfile start
38 >
39 > - check the server is running
40 > # psql -l
41 >
42 > - stop the server
43 > # pg_ctl -D ~/pgdata stop
46 > Matt.
47
48 Which one of the two (postgresql or postgresql-server) should I look at?
49 Performance is not an issue; easy setup is more important.
50
51 --Rabbe