From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] RFC: Slides for Computing in High Energy Physics
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 14:43:38
1 Hi Guilherme,
2 Cc All,
3
4 @all, guys, if you have some nice screenshots of Gentoo on Android,
5 please send me to be included in my slides.
6
7 I have uploaded my revised slides as,
8
9 http://hep.tsinghua.edu.cn/~orv/Gentoo-BendaXu-CHEP.pdf
10
11 Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o> writes:
12
13 > On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 12:04:25AM +0800, Benda Xu wrote:
14 >> Dear All,
15 >>
16 >> I am going to give an oral presentation at the Computing in High Energy
17 >> Physics Conference at Adelaide Australia on Tuesday:
18 >>
19 >> https://indico.cern.ch/event/773049/sessions/323858/#20191105
20 >>
21 >> I have uploaded my slides at,
22 >>
23 >> http://hep.tsinghua.edu.cn/~orv/pd/chep2019.pdf
26 >> Note that there will be talks on Spack and Conda after mine. A
27 >> head-to-head comparison in the session will be likely to happen.
28 >
29 > You can see their slides ahead of time. I think they are all posted
30 > already, in case you want to make a comparison in your talk.
31 >
32 >> Comments welcome!
33 >
34 > Here are my comments for the slides:
35 >
36 > For the theme, I like the darker purple. See here an example from when
37 > I first presented Portage in a group meeting here:
38 > https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1dYyYL4L9i4g6WibYpsJqL__dqD3w3KZmQKFkw40SanU/edit?usp=sharing
39 > This is just a suggestion, though. Your theme is totally fine.
40
41 Changed the color. Always interesting to try out new themes.
42
43 > Slide 3:
44 >
45 > There is a typo: maintenability -> maintainability
46
47 Done.
48
49 > Slide 4:
50 >
51 > from daily to ... -> from daily use to ...
52
53 I think the original is OK, regarding "daily" and "scientific" as
54 counterparts.
55
56 > Slide 5:
57 >
58 > I think this is a key slide. It shows the main difference between
59 > prefix and others, namely, that the INTERP points into EPREFIX and
60 > makes it independent. Important points are that it doesn't require
61 > sourcing any setup scripts to use, neither setting any variables.
62 > You should point that out, and say that we can only do this because
63 > of the special glibc that we build. No other package manager does
64 > that as far as I can tell. Also, you can use the same prefix on
65 > CVMFS for Ubuntu, CentOS, etc, instead of having one prefix per host
66 > system. That's another great advantage that prefix has over everything
67 > else.
68
69 Very nice point! I have rewritten the points.
70
71 > Slide 6:
72 >
73 > For CMake, it should be cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$EPREFIX" ...
74
75 Done
76
77 > Slide 7:
78 >
79 > Rust Carge -> Rust Cargo
80
81 Fixed.
82
83 > I'd avoid bundling the stuff that doesn't exist yet with the ones that
84 > already exist. Maybe it's better to put them only in the next slide
85 > and say that it would be possible to have converters for some things.
86 > Spack and conda seem quite unfeasible, though, so I wouldn't list those.
87 > Spack uses python for recipes, and shares the same recipe for all versions
88 > of a given package. See the recipe for ROOT, which was based on my ebuild:
89 > https://github.com/spack/spack/blob/6e78730a9776e310e375fa4697aae828665af85f/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/root/package.py
90 > Not sure about conda, but it's more like apt/rpm, so converters are
91 > probably not an option, or at least very hard not to make a mess, since
92 > packages will be duplicated in both worlds.
93
94 Agreed. I have deleted the Conda and Spack statements.
95
96 > Another thing is that spack and spack-dev are somewhat different things.
97 > The spack-dev thing is supposed to be something to help work on package
98 > development by creating a dev environment where you can work on the
99 > source and use spack to install. (Think like using ebuild configure,
100 > then work on the source, then ebuild compile/install/qmerge by hand.)
101
102 s/SpackDev/Spack/
103
104 > Non-exist, ... -> Do not exist yet, ...
105
106 Done
107
108 > Slide 8:
109 >
110 > Please point to packages.gentoo.org :-) It's a great resource. It lists
111 > the number of packages in the front page, so you could just put a
112 > screenshot in your slide and make it a link to the site. Same for the
113 > categories, you can link to https://packages.gentoo.org/categories and
114 > use a screenshot.
115
116 Done. I have used the front page.
117
118 > Not sure about what you mean with the red box (Our manifesto). It can
119 > probably be removed.
120
121 Replaced the read box with a sentence.
122
123 > Slide 10:
124 >
125 > Maybe try using minted for getting syntax hilighting, and put the code
126 > in listing boxes. I can send you examples if you want. It will look a
127 > lot nicer!
128
129 I added some backgroud to it. Indded it looks nicer.
130
131 > Slide 11:
132 >
133 > Coexistance -> Coexistence
134 >
135 > This is also an important slide. Here there is a combinatorial build
136 > with many different versions of everything and then "views" into the
137 > builds are created by symlinking into the real directories, but that
138 > has its issues, obviously. Gentoo puts all of userspace into a single
139 > directory and stacked prefix can be used to share the base and change
140 > the top while still keeping everything consistent when things are
141 > updated, which is the important point to make.
142
143 I have added several points.
144
145 > Slide 12:
146 >
147 > This is also a crucial slide, as it explains the bootstrapping process.
148 > You can probably move it earlier, when you start explaining about
149 > prefix and put a lot of emphasis on the fact that only the host kernel
150 > matters, and that we can have one thing that works on any Linux distro,
151 > as long as the kernel is recent enough. This is something only prefix
152 > can provide at the moment, and with CVMFS, it's easy to take advantage
153 > of this benefit.
154
155 Nice suggestion. I have moved it earlier.
156
157 > Slide 13:
158 >
159 > Maybe use some screenshots from Android? That would be really cool.
160
161 Got one from the internet.
162
163 > Slide 14:
164 >
165 > I think that you don't need to mention other package managers in the
166 > conclusion. Just focus on the strengths of Portage and prefix in
167 > combination with a means of distribution like CVMFS (or any distributed
168 > or networked filesystem). I think that it would be great to see more
169 > adoption of Gentoo in the scientific community!
170
171 Good point. I will focus on Gentoo.
172
173 > The presentation is very good overall, and I'm sure you'll do great
174 > there presenting Gentoo.
175
176 Thanks!
177 Benda