From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] RFC: Slides for Computing in High Energy Physics
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 08:18:04
1 Hi Benda,
2
3 On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 12:04:25AM +0800, Benda Xu wrote:
4 > Dear All,
5 >
6 > I am going to give an oral presentation at the Computing in High Energy
7 > Physics Conference at Adelaide Australia on Tuesday:
8 >
9 > https://indico.cern.ch/event/773049/sessions/323858/#20191105
10 >
11 > I have uploaded my slides at,
12 >
13 > http://hep.tsinghua.edu.cn/~orv/pd/chep2019.pdf
16 > Note that there will be talks on Spack and Conda after mine. A
17 > head-to-head comparison in the session will be likely to happen.
18
19 You can see their slides ahead of time. I think they are all posted
20 already, in case you want to make a comparison in your talk.
23 > Comments welcome!
24
25 Here are my comments for the slides:
26
27 For the theme, I like the darker purple. See here an example from when
28 I first presented Portage in a group meeting here:
29 https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1dYyYL4L9i4g6WibYpsJqL__dqD3w3KZmQKFkw40SanU/edit?usp=sharing
30 This is just a suggestion, though. Your theme is totally fine.
31
32 Slide 3:
33
34 There is a typo: maintenability -> maintainability
35
36 Slide 4:
37
38 from daily to ... -> from daily use to ...
39
40 Slide 5:
41
42 I think this is a key slide. It shows the main difference between
43 prefix and others, namely, that the INTERP points into EPREFIX and
44 makes it independent. Important points are that it doesn't require
45 sourcing any setup scripts to use, neither setting any variables.
46 You should point that out, and say that we can only do this because
47 of the special glibc that we build. No other package manager does
48 that as far as I can tell. Also, you can use the same prefix on
49 CVMFS for Ubuntu, CentOS, etc, instead of having one prefix per host
50 system. That's another great advantage that prefix has over everything
51 else.
52
53 Slide 6:
54
55 For CMake, it should be cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$EPREFIX" ...
56
57 Slide 7:
58
59 Rust Carge -> Rust Cargo
60
61 I'd avoid bundling the stuff that doesn't exist yet with the ones that
62 already exist. Maybe it's better to put them only in the next slide
63 and say that it would be possible to have converters for some things.
64 Spack and conda seem quite unfeasible, though, so I wouldn't list those.
65 Spack uses python for recipes, and shares the same recipe for all versions
66 of a given package. See the recipe for ROOT, which was based on my ebuild:
67 https://github.com/spack/spack/blob/6e78730a9776e310e375fa4697aae828665af85f/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/root/package.py
68 Not sure about conda, but it's more like apt/rpm, so converters are
69 probably not an option, or at least very hard not to make a mess, since
70 packages will be duplicated in both worlds.
71
72 Another thing is that spack and spack-dev are somewhat different things.
73 The spack-dev thing is supposed to be something to help work on package
74 development by creating a dev environment where you can work on the
75 source and use spack to install. (Think like using ebuild configure,
76 then work on the source, then ebuild compile/install/qmerge by hand.)
77
78 Non-exist, ... -> Do not exist yet, ...
79
80 Slide 8:
81
82 Please point to packages.gentoo.org :-) It's a great resource. It lists
83 the number of packages in the front page, so you could just put a
84 screenshot in your slide and make it a link to the site. Same for the
85 categories, you can link to https://packages.gentoo.org/categories and
86 use a screenshot.
87
88 Not sure about what you mean with the red box (Our manifesto). It can
89 probably be removed.
90
91 Slide 10:
92
93 Maybe try using minted for getting syntax hilighting, and put the code
94 in listing boxes. I can send you examples if you want. It will look a
95 lot nicer!
96
97 Slide 11:
98
99 Coexistance -> Coexistence
100
101 This is also an important slide. Here there is a combinatorial build
102 with many different versions of everything and then "views" into the
103 builds are created by symlinking into the real directories, but that
104 has its issues, obviously. Gentoo puts all of userspace into a single
105 directory and stacked prefix can be used to share the base and change
106 the top while still keeping everything consistent when things are
107 updated, which is the important point to make.
108
109 Slide 12:
110
111 This is also a crucial slide, as it explains the bootstrapping process.
112 You can probably move it earlier, when you start explaining about
113 prefix and put a lot of emphasis on the fact that only the host kernel
114 matters, and that we can have one thing that works on any Linux distro,
115 as long as the kernel is recent enough. This is something only prefix
116 can provide at the moment, and with CVMFS, it's easy to take advantage
117 of this benefit.
118
119 Slide 13:
120
121 Maybe use some screenshots from Android? That would be really cool.
122
123 Slide 14:
124
125 I think that you don't need to mention other package managers in the
126 conclusion. Just focus on the strengths of Portage and prefix in
127 combination with a means of distribution like CVMFS (or any distributed
128 or networked filesystem). I think that it would be great to see more
129 adoption of Gentoo in the scientific community!
130
131 The presentation is very good overall, and I'm sure you'll do great
132 there presenting Gentoo.
133
134 Good luck!
135