From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefix-overlay upcoming repository change
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 15:48:39
1 On Friday 24 January 2014 09:27:30 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > With the original overlays.gentoo.org Subversion repo back up, we were
5 > able to grab all history, and convert it into a mercurial form. Since
6 > this history was not available when I started the prefix-overlay, we
7 > have two sets of history now. I want to replace the existing
8 > prefix-overlay with the one I created that contains the merger of all
9 > history + mercurial commits. This requires everyone that has cloned
10 > this repo, to clone the new one. Therefore, I have revoked commit
11 > rights to the prefix-overlay, as new commits shouldn't go there.
12 >
13 > The conversion of old history was more complex than simply importing it
14 > due to some operations like big renames in the past. I took the time to
15 > actually get this right, and glue everything together in a nice way.
16 > Because the current prefix-overlay has just a minimal amount of commits,
17 > I think that now is the time that we still can easily avoid ugly merge
18 > constructs and multiple initial commits in our repo, by converting
19 > everything into a single repo. However, since this changes the
20 > changesets involved, this repo is a new and unrelated one to the current
21 > prefix-overlay. Therefore, everyone needs to reclone it.
22 >
23 > Please take a look at:
24 > http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org/hg/prefix-tree
25 > It has history back to:
26 > http://prefix.gentooexperimental.org/hg/prefix-tree/log?rev=0
27 >
28 > Those who got push access to the prefix-overlay, got it for this new
29 > prefix-tree repo.
30 >
31 > Sorry for the inconvenience,
32 >
33 > Fabian
34
35 Something went seriously wrong here: lots of patches are missing from the
36 overlay. Bootstrapping with LATEST_TREE_YES=1 fails when building sed due to
37 a missing sed-4.1.4-makeinfo-c-locale.patch, and bash runs into the same
38 problem.
39
40 I already fixed missing patches in sys-libs/readline, but found out
41 immediately afterwards that the problem is more widespread. I don't know how
42 widespread exactly, but you probably want to have a look at what exactly went
43 wrong in the import process.
44
45 -- Ruud