From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Prefix-standalone profile has upgraded into dev
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 10:10:02
1 Benda, congrats for getting $subject done!
2
3 On 9/30/19 8:25 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > On 30-09-2019 09:28:17 +0800, Benda Xu wrote:
5 >> Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com> writes:
6 >>
7 >>> Wow! This is huge! Congratulations to the Prefix team for their hard
8 >>> work and the unofficial volunteers that supported them! This has been
9 >>> so long in the making I resigned myself to it never
10 >>> happening. Incredible!
11 >>
12 >> Thank you Jacob. It has been a long journey since around ~2005
13 >> (@Fabian, correct me if I am wrong). Prefix has gradually matured over
14 >> the years, with love from all of us in the community.
15 >
16 > I joined in 2005. At that time there were a few hundreds of packages
17 > keyworded for ~ppc-macos. Main people that had been working on there
18 > (that I know of) were ferringb, kito, pvdabeel, gongloo and j4rg0n. The
19 > project started as Gentoo for Mac OS X.
20
21 Ah - now even myself does understand why Prefix was raising that fast!
22
23 > Around 2008 this became Gentoo
24 > Prefix (as we know it today) because a shift was made from installing
25 > "missing" software on Mac OS X in the usual locations (/usr/bin, etc.)
26 > to installing replacement software in a different location, replacing
27 > host software, and therefore relying as little as possible on that
28 > software. Initially it was easy to use Mac OS X's provided software,
29 > because it was up-to-date, but as time went, the software became
30 > outdated (think of automake/autoconf, often a problem) and problematic
31 > (Apple-specific modifications, or unfixed bugs because of old versions).
32 > Thus the only way forward was to install as much as possible Gentoo
33 > "versions", the sole aim of Gentoo Prefix.
34 >
35 >> The feeling that Prefix would remain an experimental project was real.
36 >> But as the quality of Prefix steadily grows, we could envision it to be
37 >> of production level hereafter.
38 >
39 > I'm happy to see it more mature for the Linux platforms. We've always
40 > been struggling to keep it "working". Historically, the macOS "target"
41 > was best supported, followed by Solaris, but as these platforms
42 > continued to evolve, or age, we couldn't always keep up fixing the
43 > packages and bootstrap process. Even today this is the case.
44 >
45 > There were a lot of contributors as wel as Gentoo devs that came and
46 > went over the years, making countless efforts and spending many hours to
47 > analyse, test and fix packages, processes or scenarios. For those of
48 > you, if you're still watching, your input has been vital for making the
49 > project what it has become today. It's still running, and for some
50 > scenarios still working fine/being super useful.
51
52 Absolutely, as at work I'm in the process of finalizing the third internal
53 fork of Prefix Guest+Stack for Linux and Windows (MSVC via Cygwin)!
54
55 Thanks to all of you, and also to Sammy Pfeiffer for directing myself
56 into Azure Build Pipelines and docker to perform Prefix CI bootstraps!
57
58 /haubi/
61 > Thanks a lot,
62 > Fabian