From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix-standalone profile has upgraded into dev
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 06:25:22
1 On 30-09-2019 09:28:17 +0800, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Jacob Godserv <jacobgodserv@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > Wow! This is huge! Congratulations to the Prefix team for their hard
5 > > work and the unofficial volunteers that supported them! This has been
6 > > so long in the making I resigned myself to it never
7 > > happening. Incredible!
8 >
9 > Thank you Jacob. It has been a long journey since around ~2005
10 > (@Fabian, correct me if I am wrong). Prefix has gradually matured over
11 > the years, with love from all of us in the community.
12
13 I joined in 2005. At that time there were a few hundreds of packages
14 keyworded for ~ppc-macos. Main people that had been working on there
15 (that I know of) were ferringb, kito, pvdabeel, gongloo and j4rg0n. The
16 project started as Gentoo for Mac OS X. Around 2008 this became Gentoo
17 Prefix (as we know it today) because a shift was made from installing
18 "missing" software on Mac OS X in the usual locations (/usr/bin, etc.)
19 to installing replacement software in a different location, replacing
20 host software, and therefore relying as little as possible on that
21 software. Initially it was easy to use Mac OS X's provided software,
22 because it was up-to-date, but as time went, the software became
23 outdated (think of automake/autoconf, often a problem) and problematic
24 (Apple-specific modifications, or unfixed bugs because of old versions).
25 Thus the only way forward was to install as much as possible Gentoo
26 "versions", the sole aim of Gentoo Prefix.
27
28 > The feeling that Prefix would remain an experimental project was real.
29 > But as the quality of Prefix steadily grows, we could envision it to be
30 > of production level hereafter.
31
32 I'm happy to see it more mature for the Linux platforms. We've always
33 been struggling to keep it "working". Historically, the macOS "target"
34 was best supported, followed by Solaris, but as these platforms
35 continued to evolve, or age, we couldn't always keep up fixing the
36 packages and bootstrap process. Even today this is the case.
37
38 There were a lot of contributors as wel as Gentoo devs that came and
39 went over the years, making countless efforts and spending many hours to
40 analyse, test and fix packages, processes or scenarios. For those of
41 you, if you're still watching, your input has been vital for making the
42 project what it has become today. It's still running, and for some
43 scenarios still working fine/being super useful.
44
45 Thanks a lot,
46 Fabian
49 > Big cheers to us all.