From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Portage sync on demand
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:33:00
1 Hi Lucas,
2
3 Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 >>> I've used nfs and sshfs for mounting a remote tree
6 >> I would go this way when in short of storage.
7 >
8 > Are there any performance issues with this approach besides network
9 > speed/bandwidth.
10 >
11 > And let's say I'm not on WiFi. These are mobile devices after all.
12 >
13 > I'm thinking of a proxy server setup that could calculate dependencies
14 > on the fly and only download those specific ebuilds.
15 >
16 > Also, I could see GLEP 9 as being useful for updating over cellular
17 > networks.
18
19 Go for it.
20
21 >> Our IRC channel #gentoo-prefix freenode had a lot of discussions on
22 >> relocating Gentoo Prefix. The conclusion is that portage has support
23 >> for it built in, but outdated and need some extra love.
24 >
25 > That would be excellent. Python's virtualenv utility is pretty neat.
26 > It would be awesome if one could install portage inside of virtualenv,
27 > or to be able to `pip install --user portage`.
28 >
29 > Not sure how that would work technically.
30
31 I don't think venv is the correct way to handle system complexity. And
32 I don't understand what can be achieved by installing portage inside.
33
34 virtualenv It is a dirtier hack than what we do with Prefix.
35
36 Benda