From: Lucas Ramage <ramage.lucas94@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: Portage sync on demand
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:55:00
1 >> It would be nice if I could run emerge and it would dynamically parse
2 >> the tree for dependencies and then fetch and build them without
3 >> installing them locally.
4
5 > I am interpreting "installing them" as installing the gentoo portage tree.
6
7 That is correct. First fetching the ebuilds required, then actually merging
8 them.
9
10 >> I've used nfs and sshfs for mounting a remote tree
11
12 > I would go this way when in short of storage.
13
14 Are there any performance issues with this approach besides network
15 speed/bandwidth.
16
17 And let's say I'm not on WiFi. These are mobile devices after all.
18
19 I'm thinking of a proxy server setup that could calculate dependencies on
20 the fly and only download those specific ebuilds.
21
22 Also, I could see GLEP 9 as being useful for updating over cellular
23 networks.
24
25 References:
26
27 - [GLEP 9: Gentoo Package Update System](https://www.gentoo.org
28 /glep/glep-0009.html)
29
30 - [Over-the-Air programming (OTA)](https://en.wikipedia.or
31 g/wiki/Over-the-air_programming)
32
33 >> Also, I am still trying to figure out a reliable way to run a
34 >> unprivileged Gentoo RAP. So far I have tested
35 >> `/data/data/{com.termux,org.connectbot,jackpal.androidterm}` but I
36 >> assume any other terminal emulator will work. Is it not possible to
37 >> use a relative or dynamic path?
38
39 > Our IRC channel #gentoo-prefix freenode had a lot of discussions on
40 > relocating Gentoo Prefix. The conclusion is that portage has support
41 > for it built in, but outdated and need some extra love.
42
43 That would be excellent. Python's virtualenv utility is pretty neat.
44 It would be awesome if one could install portage inside of virtualenv, or
45 to be able to `pip install --user portage`.
46
47 Not sure how that would work technically.
48