From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: You too? youtoo!
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:45:08
1 2010/8/19 Jonathan Callen <abcd@g.o>:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 >> 1.) Can I set it up with the Cygwin compatibility layer?
6 >>
7 >> There are no positive reports so far.
8 >
9 > I personally, as well as other people, have attempted to port Gentoo
10 > Prefix to work on Cygwin.  Unfortunately, these attempts have not been
11 > very successful, in part due to how Cygwin lays out its libraries.
12 >
13 > As an example, for a library named libfoo the following files would be
14 > installed:
15 >
16 > Linux            Cygwin
17 > - -----            ------
18 > lib/libfoo.a     lib/libfoo.a
19 > lib/libfoo.so    lib/libfoo.dll.a
20 > lib/libfoo.so.1  bin/cygfoo-1.dll
21 >
22 > Please note that the .dll file is installed in bin/ not lib/, as
23 > cygfoo-1.dll needs to be found in a directory listed in the $PATH
24 > environment variable (note: that's not LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but PATH -- the
25 > same variable used to find executables).  Also, the .exe suffix on
26 > executables can cause other issues as well, as it is (sometimes)
27 > optional, and some packages can get confused about that.
28 >
29 > - --
30 > Jonathan Callen
31
32 Thank you for that report.
33
34 Maybe it's the end of my investigations, maybe it is the challenge.
35
36 I first have to dig a little deeper into Prefix. Still I am exercising
37 the gentoo setup.
38 Meanwhile it takes me less than an hour until I have genkernel and
39 wifi up and running.
40 Time to start with Prefix.
41
42 Al