From: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] Stable Keywords?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:10:20
1 On 22/11/2007, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 21-11-2007 07:55:04 -0600, Jeremy wrote:
3 > > True, and we are adding more obscure platforms often. I don't know how
4 > > many people use ia64-hpux for example, but it *seems* that I am one of
5 > > the few if only besides haubi because he has done alot of work on the
6 > > tree for me. I don't have time or resources to maintain a stable branch
7 > > by myself and report back to you.
8 > >
9 > > Maybe here is a better solution:
10 > > Make the "auto-sync" script mark everything ~arch until it has been
11 > > tested by some members of the community then we could create a stabilize
12 > > request on b.g.o. - if people want to devote some time to it, they can
13 > > and they can lead the effort.
14 >
15 > That's sort of the current solution without stable keywords. If there
16 > are people that want to do the job, fine with me, syncing will always
17 > produce a new ~arch ebuild, not sure what I should do for the updates
18 > inside an ebuild (like an added patch - could break). Something tells
19 > me I should keep it stable if it was, otherwise I probably break the
20 > deptree.
21
22 It is not as likely that patches to "stable" ebuilds will break in
23 most cases, though it is always possible. I would go with keep a given
24 version stable after patching unless someone reports a bug with it, as
25 there aren't the resources to do rechecks on every patch on every
26 ebuild for the prefix.
27
28 Peter
29 --