From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] You too? youtoo!
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:42:05
1 On 08/24/2010 03:52 PM, Al wrote:
2 >>
3 >> I'm really curious if I'm the only person in the world that keeps having
4 >> such problems (on fresh & clean systems!). how the heck can people
5 >> develop software on cygwin if it crashes constantly, randomly, and
6 >> unreproducible.
9 > Great!
10 >
11 > You are the fist one, who comes up with stability warnings towards
12 > Cygwin, after I am trying for 3 days to get it running with Prefix.
13 > Checkings are really slow, feels like 1995.
14
15 hehe, i had to check again, before ranting against cygwin - it could
16 have gotten better - sadly enough it hasn't.
19 > I tried to collect informations about Cygwin before. Wikipedia writes
20 > they use it, to compile Sun Java and OpenOffic. That is serious
21 > software. Isn't it?
22
23 yep, that's serious. but there are always serious peaces of software
24 (eclipse is a good example here), where i can only bang my head against
25 the nearest wall, when i see what they're doing ;)
26
27 you cannot know, _how_ exactly they use cygwin. i can imagine somebody
28 sitting there once each month trying to get a openoffice build through -
29 that person knows that cygwin is unstable and simply tries as often as
30 is required to get the build through - simple restart each command until
31 it works.
32
33 my (our companies) use case is a different one: we need a _really_
34 stable environment, as we long to do nightly builds of software which
35 consists of literally billions of lines of code. the build takes hours
36 on really fast machines, and we can't be watching windows all the time
37 like "owh - it stopped again after building 10 hours. let's restart."
38 (excuse the "10 hours", but windows _is_ slow ;)).
41 > Now what?
42 >
43 > I still believe that the majority of my target group would not spend
44 > extra money only to feed microsoft. Switching to interix would
45 > drastically reduce the group of potential users. Still it may be the
46 > better decision as a large group of frustrated users is nothing good
47 > itself.
48
49 hm. that's the good old question whom we're targeting. i personally
50 target businesses longing to have a stable environment to build their
51 software (us :)). so there is a clear no-go for instabilities of any
52 kind. (that's why i'm fixing all those annoying interix issues one after
53 the other. i admit it's a slow process, and interix prefix (the upstream
54 one at least) is not really usable at the moment, but hey - i'm rather
55 alone on the windows side).
58 > Guess I spend another day testing Cygwin, to find out how far the
59 > instabilities really matter.
60
61 yeah, sure - are you seeing any instabilities yet?
62
63 markus
66 > Al