From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] stable keywords for bootstrapping
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:33:10
1 On 19-04-2008 15:31:35 +0200, Bacchella Fabrice wrote:
2 >> So the alternative is to switch from arch to ~arch in the post-sync
3 >> stage. Thoughts here?
4 >>
5 >> Questioni is now how are we going to implement this, if we all agree
6 >> this is the way to go? Do we agree in the first place?
7 >
8 > I think that's a good idea. In the last 2/3 weeks, I had too many problems
9 > with package upgrading while I was building.
10 >
11 > I don't know if having to upgrade all system package is a big deal. For
12 > example, there is a lot of /usr/sfw/lib in RUNPATH left over for the
13 > solaris build. So a re-emerge is a good thing anyway. And there a lot of
14 > package to get after the boot strap, so it's going to be a long process
15 > anyway.
16
17 Method A:
18 emerge a b c
19 emerge --sync
20 emerge -u system
21 emerge -e system
22 echo 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch"' >> make.conf
23 emerge -e system
24
25 Method B:
26 emerge a b c
27 emerge --sync
28 emerge -u system
29 echo 'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch"' >> make.conf
30 emerge -e system
33 Method A has the clear advantage that you'll much more likely make it to
34 the end of the bootstrap document, however once you decide you want to
35 do more than just system packages (quite likely), you'll basically
36 confronted with the entire system set having newer versions (gcc,
37 binutils, python, coreutils, to name a few larger ones).
38
39 Method B is more risky, but should work if we manage not to break the
40 life tree, which in theory shouldn't happen, but in practise not always
41 is. Though should be easy to recover from that using emerge --sync.
45 Fabian Groffen
46 Gentoo on a different level
47 --
48 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list