From: Bacchella Fabrice <fabrice.bacchella@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] stable keywords for bootstrapping
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:31:40
1 Le 19 avr. 08 à 10:23, Fabian Groffen a écrit :
2 > Because bootstrapping is just the preparatory step to your Prefix
3 > installation, it need not to be bleeding edge, and preferably it just
4 >
5 > works, of course. Keep in mind that the snapshots are used for the
6 > first `emerge system`, after that an emerge --sync is run and hence
7 > the life tree is used for the final `emerge -e system`. The pre-sync
8 > stage is the trickiest part, since it heavily relies on a correct
9 > order
10 > of things, correct dependendies and working packages. The post-sync
11 > stage is slightly less dramatic, since in principle the Prefix
12 > system is
13 > already functional at that stage.
14 >
15 > To aid the pre-sync stage, I am considering to switch to usign stable
16 > keywords for the system packages *only*. That is, the bootstrap
17 > process
18 > is done with stable keywords, all other packages remain ~arch and
19 > hence
20 > a user has to add ~arch to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS after bootstrapping
21 > finishes.
22 >
23 > There is one thing that I don't quite like:
24 > switching from arch to ~arch means after `emerge -e system` nearly any
25 > system package needs to be updated, that is quite a shame
26 >
27 > So the alternative is to switch from arch to ~arch in the post-sync
28 > stage. Thoughts here?
29 >
30 > Questioni is now how are we going to implement this, if we all agree
31 > this is the way to go? Do we agree in the first place?
32
33 I think that's a good idea. In the last 2/3 weeks, I had too many
34 problems with package upgrading while I was building.
35
36 I don't know if having to upgrade all system package is a big deal.
37 For example, there is a lot of /usr/sfw/lib in RUNPATH left over for
38 the solaris build. So a re-emerge is a good thing anyway. And there a
39 lot of package to get after the boot strap, so it's going to be a long
40 process anyway.
45 > --
46 > Fabian Groffen
47 > Gentoo on a different level