From: rabbe@×××××××.se
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] postgreql on prefix portage, doable?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:28:27
1 > On 21-08-2008 14:12:54 +0200, rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
2 >> Does anyone know, would it be practical to run an SQL server of some
3 >> variety in Prefix Portage? It would be for prototyping only.
4 >>
5 >> Let me state at once that I have little experience with databases. I did
6 >> run mysql on native Gentoo for some time though, with no problems.
7 >>
8 >> I see that there are things like postgresql and sqlite in the prefix
9 >> tree.
10 >> Did anyone try them out?
11 >>
12 >> And what is the difference between the postgresql-server and postgresql
13 >> packages? Different packagings of the same server? (I see now that there
14 >> is a Gentoo guide and it says `emerge postgresql' very early on..)
15 >
16 > I used to have postgresql installed in my Prefix and run it. It's
17 > slighlty less convenient since you can't use the init.d scripts (yet),
18 > but the database itself is designed not to require anything like root or
19 > something.
22 > --
23 > Fabian Groffen
24 > Gentoo on a different level
25
26 Super, I will try it out. SQL on a different level..