From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] postgreql on prefix portage, doable?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:18:21
1 On 21-08-2008 14:12:54 +0200, rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
2 > Does anyone know, would it be practical to run an SQL server of some
3 > variety in Prefix Portage? It would be for prototyping only.
4 >
5 > Let me state at once that I have little experience with databases. I did
6 > run mysql on native Gentoo for some time though, with no problems.
7 >
8 > I see that there are things like postgresql and sqlite in the prefix tree.
9 > Did anyone try them out?
10 >
11 > And what is the difference between the postgresql-server and postgresql
12 > packages? Different packagings of the same server? (I see now that there
13 > is a Gentoo guide and it says `emerge postgresql' very early on..)
14
15 I used to have postgresql installed in my Prefix and run it. It's
16 slighlty less convenient since you can't use the init.d scripts (yet),
17 but the database itself is designed not to require anything like root or
18 something.
22 Fabian Groffen
23 Gentoo on a different level