From: Jon Woodring <woodring@××××.gov>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Bootstrap stable?
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 16:02:06
1 On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:27:01AM +0800, Benda Xu wrote:
2
3 > That is not the case. You can use Prefix from the Gentoo portage tree
4 > without modification, over Linux kernels. The overlays Amadio
5 > mentioned were for development purpose.
6
7 Sorry, I should be more specific; I meant the way we want to use it in
8 HPC, with crazy compiler and linking configurations. I have had no
9 problems with Prefix so far, but I am considering how I want to use it.
10 So, thanks for your work on it.
11
12 > One of our friends Christoph Junghans, was a contributor of Prefix.
13 > But eventually he decided that spack is the way to go. Jon, it might
14 > be worthwhile to have a chat with your colleague on this matter. Chris
15 > knows both sides well.
16
17 Yes, I know Christoph well, but it would be wasted effort as I'm not
18 looking to convince someone away from Spack. Sides have been picked and
19 people are going to stick with their team. The only thing that works is
20 marketing and propaganda because technical arguments never work.