From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Bootstrap stable?
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 00:25:30
1 Hi Jon,
2
3 Jon Woodring <woodring@××××.gov> writes:
4
5 > Also, yes, I get that multi-compiler issues that we have in HPC is a strange
6 > requirement that we have, but again, *portage* could have solved it if the
7 > HPC community had contributed -- and I don't think it's impossible with
8 > current *portage*.
9
10 Thank you Jon. You are always welcomed to try Prefix out on the HPC
11 settings.
12
13 > I do realize you can't use *Prefix* out of the box with the existing
14 > *portage* tree.
15
16 That is not the case. You can use Prefix from the Gentoo portage tree
17 without modification, over Linux kernels. The overlays Amadio mentioned
18 were for development purpose.
19
20 > So, I can't turn back time and tell the *Spack* team to go and use *portage*,
21 > because it exists now, and it has a lot of traction, but I am going to say it
22 > was a stupid decision.
23
24 One of our friends Christoph Junghans, was a contributor of Prefix. But
25 eventually he decided that spack is the way to go. Jon, it might be
26 worthwhile to have a chat with your colleague on this matter. Chris
27 knows both sides well.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Benda