From: Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] I tried installing gentoo prefix on WSL2 running debian.....
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 09:03:02
1 Dear All,
2
3 I have edited the .bashrc file and commented out the offending lines.
4
5 See here:
6 more ../.bashrc
7 # Use global profile when available
8 #if [ -f /usr/share/defaults/etc/profile ]; then
9 # . /usr/share/defaults/etc/profile
10 #fi
11 # allow admin overrides
12 if [ -f /etc/profile ]; then
13 . /etc/profile
14 fi
15 mikef@clr-0fdd1f831fb14378ac28883a158cf04d ~/gentoo
16 $
17
18 I then logged out and back in again and tried running emerge after the
19 bashrc vasectomy had been performed:
22 mikef@clr-0fdd1f831fb14378ac28883a158cf04d~/gentoo $ ./startprefix
23 Entering Gentoo Prefix /home/mikef/gentoo
24 mikef@clr-0fdd1f831fb14378ac28883a158cf04d ~/gentoo $ emerge
25 ^C
26
27 Exiting on signal Signals.SIGINT
28 mikef@clr-0fdd1f831fb14378ac28883a158cf04d ~/gentoo $ eselect read news
29 !!! Error: Can't load module read
30 exiting
31 mikef@clr-0fdd1f831fb14378ac28883a158cf04d ~/gentoo $ emerge --update
32 --newuse @world
33
34 * IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
35 * Use eselect news read to view new items.
36
37 Calculating dependencies... done!
38 >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
39
40 >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
41 mikef@clr-0fdd1f831fb14378ac28883a158cf04d ~/gentoo $
44 It looks to me as if emerge now runs OK as a direct command but eselect
45 news read is still unhappy.
46
47 If you could suggest some other test commands I can run to check whether
48 prefix is now running properly here that would be helpful.
49
50 Regards
51
52 MF