From: Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] You too? youtoo!
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:20:14
1 On Aug 18, 2010, at 4:39 AM, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2
3 > Well, for Windows you might be in some luck (thanks to mduft):
4 > What does exist already is (not a script, but) an ISO image (DVD) with some nice
5 > GUI installer, that can set up both Interix and Gentoo Prefix on your Windows box.
6 > You can find it via http://prefix.gentoo.org/bootstrap.xml
9 Bootstrapping is about as much fun as standing in line at the post office. If Prefix would like to compete with fink, darwinports, or whatever else people are using on various platforms, then the experience for the first-time user should be as easy as what Elmar describes. I can't think of any reason it shouldn't be that easy–pretty much everyone runs bootstrap-prefix.sh the same way, except when they copy the commands wrong or out of order.
10
11 The easiest and most portable approach is to write a shell script that runs the commands in the docs to bootstrap to a given location, wrapping bootstrap-prefix.sh. Elmar, it sounds like this is what you're after, and if you want to build it, you should feel free. As Jeremy says, use Prefix for a while and get used to the tools before you start trying to improve it. I don't think it would be a huge amount of work, but it will need to be maintained over time.
12
13 The most pleasant user experience would be a platform-specific installer that either unpacks a usable stage4 tarball to a preset location, or runs through the bootstrap stages. I haven't used the Windows installer, but from a quick browse it looks like it does this, and it looks professional. If our company were to expand significantly, we would consider building something like this to deploy and maintain Prefix installations for developers and designers. I'm thinking of a "Gentoo" System Preferences pane here.
14
15 Peter