From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:51:09
1 Hi Dag,
2
3 Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
4 > Just stumbled over Gentoo prefix and it seems very exciting (see my
5 > usecase below). My question:
6
7 You're welcome!
8
9 > Is it possible to use the host system's bash/gcc/... when having a
10 > Gentoo prefix on Mac or Linux? I.e. a system for setting up software
11 > which doesn't have *too* much redundancy with the host system. One would
12 > then set PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, MANPATH etc. to use it as an overlay
13 > over the host system.
14
15 While it should be "possible" to some degree to do this, we can not recommend
16 and of course not really support this - although you might get hints for specific
17 problems here and there.
18 First hint: Do _not_ use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (on a regular basis) for various reasons.
19
20 > It wouldn't need to support all the Gentoo packages, just a select subset.
21 >
22 > All the bootstrapping guides assume setting up a seperate toolchain for
23 > Gentoo prefix. I know very little about Gentoo, but am eager to read up
24 > on it. But just a tiny link to the right docs can save me massive
25 > amounts of time now in the beginning.
26
27 You really should put a toolchain (binutils, gcc, libtool, other?) into
28 your Prefix, they provide the magic necessary to avoid LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
29
30 For other packages: You can try to package.provide[1] them and see what
31 breaks. Eventually you might have to create symlinks inside your Prefix
32 pointing to host utilitis, or you might have to modify ebuilds...
33
34 Second hint:
35 It does help to be a more experienced (at least) user (Gentoo Linux
36 and/or Gentoo Prefix) when trying to reuse host packages.
37
38 <snip>
39 > - Need to distribute software fast and iteratively to coworkers on the
40 > other side of the world with a totally different setup
41 > - Linux, Mac, Solaris, Windows...
42
43 Third hint:
44 Having that many different systems and users feels like becoming a maintenance
45 nightmare when trying to use as much as possible packages from the host system.
46
47 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5#doc_chap3
48 where /etc/portage/profile/package.provided is below your Prefix.
49
50 HTH,
51 /haubi/
52 --