From: Alan Hourihane <alanh@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] multilib / multijob / parallel build problem
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 23:42:17
1 On 10/06/13 00:38, Greg Turner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> wrote:
3 >> Trust me, at the end of the day, it's a cygwin bug. Technically
4 >> speaking, Cygwin supports bidi pipes with the same semantics as Linux,
5 >> but the implementation is broken. IIRC, something as simple as "diff
6 >> -u <(echo 1) <(echo 2)" in cygwin bash is enough to confirm that.
7 > If I'm not mistaken, the bug has to do with getting the handles of
8 > named pipes cloned during fork(). They are supposed to stay attached,
9 > of course, but instead they insta-close on read... something like that
10 > anyhow, it was a while ago I looked into it :)
13 From what I can see it's down to bi-directional read/write on a FIFO.
14
15 Typically a FIFO expects a reader and a writer (it's just a filesystem
16 PIPE).
17 Therefore we should be using two file descriptors, one for read and one
18 for write. Not one file descriptor and using read/write. That's the
19 Linux'ism
20 we're talking about here.
21
22 Alan.