From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Cc: richardg.work@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Bootstrap rap fails on Fedora 20 x86_64
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:07:40
1 Hi Richard,
2
3 Richard Geary <richardg.work@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > What is the current rap bootstrap script? There should be a link on
6 > the main Prefix libc wiki page to the latest version of the script
7 > (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/libc)
8
9 Some historical reason here. The wiki page has been written before we
10 have a bootstrap script for RAP, so it was about bootstraping from a
11 classic Prefix.
12
13 The RAP bootstrap has not yet been considered finished.
14
15 > I was using this:
16 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~heroxbd/bootstrap-rap.sh (via
17 > http://gentoo.2317880.n4.nabble.com/Gentoo-RAP-bootstrap-script-td268948.
18 > html)
19 >
20 > But there appears to be a more recent bootstrap rap script here :
21 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=dev/heroxbd.git;a=blob_plain;f=scripts/bootstrap-
22 > rap.sh
23
24 Yeah, the more recent one is in git. I forgot to update the http link.
25
26 > However, there's at least 2 bugs in the newer script for Fedora 20 -
27 > it will now always bootstrap tar & gzip in phase 1, but that fails as
28 > tar 1.26 source code contains an outdated stdin.h which warns about
29 > gets without the modern #if HAVE_RAW_DECL_GETS guard to check if the
30 > gets function still exists. The tar 1.27 source fixes this.
31
32 Nice catch, patch welcome.
33
34 > Issue 2 in the new script is during phase 2, it tries to untar the
35 > missing files rap-overlay-perl.tar.bz2, rap-overlay-openrc.tar.bz2 and
36 > rap-overlay-portage.tar.bz2
37
38 I don't know what they are. Could you be more specific?
39
40 > Any advice or pointers much appreciated!
41
42 The bootstrap script is outdated and serves as a shortcut. Even when
43 up-to-date, it was not fool-proof. So don't be surprised it breaks.
44 When it does, just circumvent it. It can be resumed afterwards to
45 serves a shortcut again. Notice that the glibc is still on 2.17 and gcc
46 on 4.7 as one year ago. I am planning to upgrade them, but don't hold
47 your breath. Patches welcome, as always.
50 If you want to use Prefix on Fedora 20 and newer, a classic Prefix using
51 host glibc will do, too. That receives more testing and might work more
52 smoothly.
53
54 Cheers,
55 Benda