From: Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Using Gentoo Prefix to support a more recent version of Eclipse?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 20:52:43
1 Thanks Benda for encouragement.
2
3 The bootstrapping was a breeze. I started it off and it finished in a couple of
4 hours.
5
6 Emerging 'meld', another GTK application, was possible after adding some
7 masks and USE flags.
8
9 With Java, no success yet. I am trying to use a LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but
10 that causes Java to crash immediately. Maybe this is just not doable.
11
12 BR and thanks / Rabbe
15 Benda Xu wrote:
16 > Hi Rabbe,
17 >
18 > Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se> writes:
19 >
20 >> I have a situation where Gentoo Prefix may possibly help.
21 >>
22 >> I want to run Eclipse with a plugin for Erlang development. The plugin
23 >> requires me to use a recent version of Eclipse. However, the platform
24 >> that I am stuck with is Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, which has an old GTK 3
25 >> version, which would force me to use Eclipse "Oxygen", not compatible
26 >> with the Erlang plugin.
27 >>
28 >> So, I am wondering: If I can get Gentoo Prefix set up, with presumably
29 >> an up-to-date version of GTK 3, could I then hope that this Eclipse
30 >> can find the newer GTK 3 and run happily?
31 > Yes, Gentoo Prefix will help. That said, it might not work out of the
32 > box. I don't know anyone who is using Eclipse on Gentoo Prefix.
33 >
34 > You can expect bugs along your way to the destiny. And that's a good
35 > way to contribute to Prefix by sharing your findings and solutions
36 > through the bugzilla.
37 >
38 > Yours,
39 > Benda