From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] stable keywords for bootstrapping
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:07:34
1 > Due to numerous occasions of b0rkerage in the bootstrap snapshots,
2 > bootstrapping has failed. A selection of issues that come up:
3 > - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q is the latest version in the snapshot, but this
4 > version
5 > has been removed, and its distfiles have become unavailable (e.g.
6 > rsync-3.0.0_pre2)
7 > - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q was added in the snapshot, but breaks several
8 > packages
9 > (e.g. gcc-4.3.0)
10
11 perhaps we need to keep older versions for bootstrap ?
12
13 > Because bootstrapping is just the preparatory step to your Prefix
14 > installation, it need not to be bleeding edge, and preferably it just
15 > works, of course. Keep in mind that the snapshots are used for the
16 > first `emerge system`, after that an emerge --sync is run and hence
17 > the life tree is used for the final `emerge -e system`. The pre-sync
18 > stage is the trickiest part, since it heavily relies on a correct
19 > order
20 > of things, correct dependendies and working packages. The post-sync
21 > stage is slightly less dramatic, since in principle the Prefix
22 > system is
23 > already functional at that stage.
24 >
25 > To aid the pre-sync stage, I am considering to switch to usign stable
26 > keywords for the system packages *only*. That is, the bootstrap
27 > process
28 > is done with stable keywords, all other packages remain ~arch and
29 > hence
30 > a user has to add ~arch to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS after bootstrapping
31 > finishes.
32
33 i would think it would be better to use stable and testing like
34 normal. i would like to try to keep stable here.
35
36 > There is one thing that I don't quite like:
37 > switching from arch to ~arch means after `emerge -e system` nearly any
38 > system package needs to be updated, that is quite a shame
39 >
40 > So the alternative is to switch from arch to ~arch in the post-sync
41 > stage. Thoughts here?
42 >
43 > Questioni is now how are we going to implement this, if we all agree
44 > this is the way to go? Do we agree in the first place?
47 > --
48 > Fabian Groffen
49 > Gentoo on a different level
50 > --