From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Bash failed. Are errors normal?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:36:58
1 2010/8/20 Michael Yang <yangofzeal@×××××.com>:
2 >> I have my installer script ready so far, but it still does not go to
3 >> the end. The next problem I run into is this thingy with pax-utils
4 >> complaining about shebangs.
5 >
6 > I also got errors with shebangs during bootstrap, and it didn't used to
7 > happen.  Very frustrating.  The problem was that /bin/bash was picked up
8 > instead of prefix bash in
9 >  $EPREFIX/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild-helpers/doman.  Altering the file such
10 > that the first line read #!$EPREFIX/bin/bash  ($EPREFIX replaced with the
11 > absolute path to PREFIX install) fixed this.
12
13 Thank you for advice.
14
15 > I too have found myself picking through the Sun, MacOS, and FreeBSD
16 > instructions but they quickly become outdated and require a lot of
17 > workarounds.  The same procedure that works on one architecture will often
18 > break within a month or so when new portage & gentoo features come into
19 > effect (e.g. the shebang error, -protect-owned in portage-2.2), which makes
20 > it even harder for beginners to get through a bootstrap (like Al)
21
22 > Has anyone ever considered setting up an automated build system (& waterfall
23 > report) similar to google's chrome dev that runs a working bootstrap script
24 > on different architectures each evening?  It would facilitate the entire
25 > process for beginners.
26
27 You nearly describe my script.
28
29 * You can use it to bootstrap as a beginner.
30 * You can run it automatically on different machines to find out,
31 where the basic system is broken.
32
33 There is still a lot of work, but the prove of concept is nearly done.
34
35 However, the original idea of mine is to have it available to build
36 another tool upon it. For me it is just the foundation.
37
38 Al