From: heroxbd <heroxbd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: Setting up a github repo for easily contribution?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:37:49
1 Dear Yegle,
2
3 yegle <cnyegle@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > Github's pull-request feature makes it very easy to contribute to the
6 > open source project.
7 >
8 > I admit that this is not a very appealing reason. But think about why
9 > sf.net and google code loses their "market share" to github, and why
10 > Homebrew wins MacPorts.
11 >
12 > Github's pull-request feature gives a more casual ways of contributing
13 > open source project (compare to patch/ebuild submission on bugzilla).
14 > The casualty may conflict with Gentoo's principles, but I think it's
15 > good for gentoo-prefix.
16 >
17 > Gentoo-prefix needs more contributors, and I believe an official
18 > github repo can help.
19
20 There has been such a suggestion in gentoo-dev and Gentoo has a github
21 organizaion account (not sure though). I agree with your points and am
22 not going to jump into this again.
23
24 A causion: Gentoo Prefix SVN repo will fade away finally and integrated
25 back into gentoo-x86, according to Fabian(ping).
26
27 Konstantin is right: for me overlay is good enough and you can maintain
28 your overlay with any VCS you like.
29
30 If you are really a fan of github and eager to contribute in this
31 manner, go ahead to try out and send a pull request to me. I will review
32 and integrate your patch. If the process is joyful, we could extrapolate
33 this style to more audiences in the community.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Benda