From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Bootstrap stable?
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 18:57:36
1 Hi Jon,
2
3 > On 3 Apr 2019, at 12:56, Jon Woodring <woodring@××××.gov> wrote:
4 >
5 > Looking at the GSOC, I noticed that it’s mentioned that one of Prefix’s goals is to bring Gentoo to HPC, and actually that’s where I was trying to use Prefix.
6 >
7 > I don’t know if you’re familiar with Spack https://spack.io/, but I was exploring using Prefix and portage, because it has a larger community and more features.
8
9 Yes, I’m advocating for using prefix for HEP (at CERN) and HPC in the HSF packaging group,
10 but I think that they are unfortunately more interested in using spack, even though it
11 doesn’t seem to be mature enough for what is its intended use. In any case, since you are
12 from LANL, if your cluster has CVMFS mounted (i.e. /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch), then you can already
13 use prefix! I have prefix installed in CVMFS, which I discussed at CHEP:
14 https://indico.cern.ch/event/587955/contributions/2938043/
15
16 Just run /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/contrib/gentoo/linux/x86_64/startprefix to get started.
17
18 In principle, there’s nothing preventing you from using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=‘x86_64’ in your
19 prefix configuration. It’s just not tried by anyone yet. We all use ~x86_64 for now for
20 prefix on Linux. On Mac OS X there’s no stable keyword, ~*-macos are the only ones.
21
22 My first talk about prefix for HSF packaging group:
23 https://indico.cern.ch/event/672745/
24
25 Other related links:
26 https://hepsoftwarefoundation.org/workinggroups/packaging.html