From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] AIX prefix bootstrap issues
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:49:34
1 Hello Michael,
2
3 Yesterday I swtiched back and forth. And my e-mail (and head) got
4 screwed up. Sorry for this. I need to keep cool and clam in front of a
5 computer.
6
7 I don't have LIBPATH set.
8
9 I can access a AIX5.2 box and a AIX5.3 one. I tried prefix-launcher on
10 both.
13 Let me summarize what I did yesterday in detail.
14
15 1. In the AIX5.2 box,
16
17 z. CONFIG_SHELL=<some path>/bash
18
19 a. The gcc-4.2.4 step in prefix-launcher fails (some hpp file cannot be
20 found. It is suggested to be a tar error, installing tar 1.15 does not
21 solve the problem inside prefix-launcher) , while moving the gcc tree
22 outside prefix-launcher and compiling independently works. I don't know
23 why.
24
25 The log of failing gcc-4.2.4@prefix-launcher is missing, cuz I deteled
26 the buildroot tree, sorry. Is it worth the time to reproduce?
27
28 b. With gcc-4.2.4, I set in prefix-laucher "make config
29 gcc_SUPPLY=EXTERNAL" and went on.
30
31 From this point on I use the new gcc-4.2.4 just compiled.
32
33 The coreutils-6.9 step fails. I moved the coreutils source tree outside
34 and tried to build independently, but failed again.
35
36 Jee, I have also deleted the log file and the source tree. Very bad
37 habit, I realize.
38
39 c. Ignoring failure of coreutils-6.9, I went on with "make config
40 coreutils_SUPPLY=EXTERNAL". The prefix-laucher built till end.
41
42 d. I used eprefix-bootstrap generated by prefix-laucher. The bootstrap
43 stops in gcc-4.2.4 stage. The error message indicates "install -m0700"
44 on AIX is not compatible with that of GNU. I remembered I don't have
45 coreutils compiled.
46
47 e. I emerged the most recent coreutils and findutils in portage with
48 success.
49
50 f. eprefix-bootstrap again, gcc-4.2.4 failed in a later stage. I did not
51 inspect carefully yet. I am regenerating the log file.
52
53 g. I thought I could circumvent the gcc-4.2.4 by emerging other versions
54 of gcc. First I tried gcc-4.3. It have a large dependency tree. The
55 build goes to help2man and got stuck, complaining it need perl5.8 to
56 start with. I couldn't understand this: I have perl5.10 in Prefix and
57 perl5.8 is masked, why a most recent version of help2man in portage
58 cannot meet its dependency within portage?
59
60 I then made a symlink to perl5.8 on the host
61 (/opt/freeware/bin/perl5.8). help2man compiles but the shebang test
62 failed. Now I can't go beyond help2man.
63
64 h. Then I tried gcc-4.1 in portage, it fails with "Arg list too
65 long". As pointed out by Michael, it is not caused by /bin/sh, but a
66 global parameter controling the argument length limit in AIX. I contact
67 with the administrator and wait.
68
69 Log file:
70
71 http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda/GentooAIX52/gcc-4.1.build.log
74 Therefore, now I cannot go beyond emerging gcc on the AIX5.2 box.
77 2. In the AIX5.3 box,
78
79 z. CONFIG_SHELL=<some path>/bash
80
81 a. Similar as above gcc-4.2.4@prefix-launcher fails, with some ".hpp"
82 file not found. I moved out, "make distclean", built, succeeded.
83
84 Failed log file in prefix-launcher:
85
86 http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda/GentooAIX53/gcc-4.2.4.build.log
87
88 b. "make config gcc_SUPPLY=EXTERNAL" then continue with prefix-launcher
89 using newly built gcc-4.2.4. Fails at ncurses. I seems that my gcc-4.2.4
90 is not functioning well? cstdio can be corrupted?
91
92 Log file:
93
94 http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda/GentooAIX53/ncurses.build.log
97 Thank you very much for your help. And thank you for your comments and
98 criticize: It made me rethink of my situation and make things clear
99 instead of trying things out blindly.
100
101 Yours,
102 Benda
103 --
104 XU Benda
105 Research Center for Neutrino Science
106 Tohoku University
107 JAPAN
108
109 http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda