From: Brandon Lewis <brandon_lewis@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [bootstrapping ubuntu] emerge -e system (Code Listing 1.16)
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:17:20
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 03-02-2008 20:33:02 -0800, Brandon Lewis wrote:
3 >> Okay, I re-downloaded the bootstrap script from the website, from the link
4 >> in the linux bootstrap instructions:
5 >>
6 >> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh?format=txt,
7 >>
8 >> and tried two separate installations. Both failed on listing 1.8:
9 >>
10 >> Code Listing 1.8:
11 >> emerge --oneshot bash
12 >>
13 >> build-aux/missing: line 54: help2man: command not found
14 >> WARNING: `help2man' is missing on your system. You should only need it
15 >> ....
16 >>
17 >> This definitely seems like a different error than I was getting before, but
18 >> perhaps I did not download the new script from the correct location. Where
19 >> should I have obtained it? If it was not a problem with the script, should
20 >> I have had this package installed on my host system? Should I have emerged
21 >> it before trying to emerge bash? Or is this a new issue?
22 >
23 > This is an annoying problem caused by changed dependencies. Please try
24 > to follow
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml
26 > from step 1.6
27
28 I tried two things: starting over as you suggested, and following the
29 os-x instructions from step 1.6, and starting over again following the
30 os-x instructions from the beginning, (except I replaced the
31 linker/compiler flags with those from the linux instructions). Both
32 attempts failed after the first line of listing 1.8.
33
34 $ emerge --oneshot coreutils
35
36 ....
37 /bin/bash
38 /home/brandon/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/texinfo-4.11-r1/work/texinfo-4.11/build-aux/missing
39 --run help2man --name="convert Texinfo documents to DVI"
40 ../util/texi2dvi >texi2dvi.1
41 /home/brandon/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/texinfo-4.11-r1/work/texinfo-4.11/build-aux/missing:
42 line 54: help2man: command not found
43 ....
44 (The complete build log/environment is attached).
45
46 This is getting frustrating. Can I anticipate many more of these kinds
47 of situations? I have a fairly typical ubuntu gutsy installation (all
48 the non-supported sources are enabled, but otherwise everything is
49 factory equipment =P). Am I in uncharted territory? Or, is there a more
50 robust means of getting portage bootstrapped?

build.log text/x-log
environment text/plain