From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hard drive (installation)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:07:09
1 Henry W. Peters posted on Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:24:36 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > So my question is: will an external HD work (I do audio
4 > editing/recording/graphics) as a system/work space? & more importantly,
5 > will Gentoo install on such a HD (external, usb 3))
6
7 USB-3 bus-speed, 5 Gbit/sec full duplex (previous USB was half-duplex and
8 USB-2 was 480 Mbit/sec), tho "reasonable" thruput is 3.2 Gbit/sec (400
9 MByte/sec), according to wikipedia, should be much faster than a
10 "spinning rust" hard drive, and indeed, should be reasonable as an SSD
11 bus, as well, altho SATA 3 (aka SATA 600) is a bit faster (6 Gbit/sec,
12 600 MByte/sec), and a good speed SSD bottlenecks on the SATA 3 bus. By
13 comparison, PCIE 1.x is 5 Gbit/sec at 2X, with PCIE 2.x 5 Gbit/sec at 1X
14 and PCIE 3.x 8 Gbit/sec at 1X.
15
16 Meanwhile, while drives do have a few megabyte of buffer (typically 16 or
17 32 MB), typical to-platter transfer rates run perhaps a quarter of that
18 (100 MByte/sec is quite good).
19
20 So you should EASILY be able to double-up on the "spinning rust" drives
21 on USB 3 and still have plenty of bandwidth to spare, tho SATA 2 was
22 indeed a bottleneck. If you're running a fast SSD, a dedicated USB 3
23 port will bottleneck on it compared to SATA 3, but not horribly so, and
24 it will still be MUCH faster than spinning rust.
25
26 Meanwhile, wikipedia's device bitrate table[1], from which I got the
27 above, also lists audio bitrates. CDA: 1.411 Mbit/sec. S/PDIF: 3.072
28 Mbit/sec, AC'97 12.288 MBit/sec. Even full-rate HDMI audio should be no
29 problem, at 36.864 Mbit/sec. Even USB 2 (480 Mbit/sec) should have
30 absolutely no problem with that, which is why USB sound cards are viable
31 and there's even some reasonably high end versions.
32
33 Uncompressed video, OTOH, could be a bit of a different story. HDMI 1.0
34 and single-link DVI are both 4.95 Gbit/sec, so will stress USB 3 and
35 SSDs. Full-speed dual-link DVI is 8.03 Gbit/sec, and HDMI 1.3 is 10.2
36 Gbit/sec, which will challenge any consumer-level storage today. PCIE of
37 sufficient version and/or X can handle it (thus the common 16X PCIE
38 graphics cards), but you'll be paying a pretty penny for storage of any
39 significant size that can keep up!
40
41 Which of course is why pretty much all video of significant resolution
42 and frame-rate is also significantly compressed -- it's pretty much
43 unmanageable, storage-wise, otherwise. But it doesn't sound like you're
44 doing that heavy video or you'd not be worried about sound at all.
47 Meanwhile, there's the whole "will it boot" question. However, as
48 someone else mentioned, MS Windows 8 almost certainly means UEFI, which
49 should be pretty flexible, provided of course that you're not running the
50 MS side too locked down (MS requires that UEFI be user unlockable on amd64
51 for certification, so you should be able to unlock it).
52
53 But beware, there are some USB drives that won't boot, at least not on
54 BIOS (I'm not sure about UEFI). One way around that is to stick grub or
55 whatever, along with the kernel (so basically your /boot) on a bootable
56 thumbdrive (which you can stick in a USB 2 slot since for just grub speed
57 isn't a huge issue) and boot it, then point the kernel at the otherwise
58 unbootable USB drive for root, since the kernel should be able to handle
59 even otherwise unbootable drives, once it's loaded. That's what I'm
60 doing here with my external-drive level of bootable system backup, since
61 the drive isn't otherwise bootable.
62
63 ---
64 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bit_rates
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman