From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 21:10:37
1 Am 17.06.2014 22:51, schrieb Barry Schwartz:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> skribis:
3 >> Am 17.06.2014 21:57, schrieb Barry Schwartz:
4 >>> Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
5 >>>> I appreciate your concern but, all too often it seems, the notion
6 >>>> of "not a good idea" becomes "not a good idea therefore it should
7 >>>> be irrevocably disabled for everyone whether they want it or not."
8 >>> Yeah, that seems to be common.
9 >>>
10 >>> There is a tug-of-war between the idea of Gentoo as (a) an OS like the
11 >>> usual suspects except you can easily compile it yourself and (b) a
12 >>> framework for rolling your own OS. I lean in preference towards (b).
13 >>>
14 >>> (The xLFSes are suffering from the same tug-of-war.)
15 >> so make yourself an overlay, put an ebuild with apropriate patches there
16 >> and be happy.
17 > I have _more than one_ overlay, hosted on Bitbucket.
18
19 I don't. I do not see the need.
22 > Please try to be nice about this. Is it not even acceptable to discuss
23 > that there is such a tug-of-war? Should discussions about the
24 > balances of pros and cons in Gentoo take place in ‘discussion
25 > overlays’?
30 Was this thread started to 'discuss' something? No? Then why do you feel
31 the need to start one?
32
33 Especially about something like ssp that hardly anybody should want to
34 turn off?
35
36 And I am nice. At the moment.