From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:51:50
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> skribis:
2 > Am 17.06.2014 21:57, schrieb Barry Schwartz:
3 > > Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
4 > >> I appreciate your concern but, all too often it seems, the notion
5 > >> of "not a good idea" becomes "not a good idea therefore it should
6 > >> be irrevocably disabled for everyone whether they want it or not."
7 > > Yeah, that seems to be common.
8 > >
9 > > There is a tug-of-war between the idea of Gentoo as (a) an OS like the
10 > > usual suspects except you can easily compile it yourself and (b) a
11 > > framework for rolling your own OS. I lean in preference towards (b).
12 > >
13 > > (The xLFSes are suffering from the same tug-of-war.)
14 >
15 > so make yourself an overlay, put an ebuild with apropriate patches there
16 > and be happy.
17
18 I have _more than one_ overlay, hosted on Bitbucket.
19
20 Please try to be nice about this. Is it not even acceptable to discuss
21 that there is such a tug-of-war? Should discussions about the
22 balances of pros and cons in Gentoo take place in ‘discussion
23 overlays’?