From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:28:30
1 Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm on ext4 with delayed allocation enabled, but I still see GUI
5 >> lock-ups when emerging without tmpfs (and I do have nice 19 and ionice
6 >> idle). There are a few lock-ups even with tmpfs, but not as severe as
7 >> without it. But I do have 6GB RAM. Not sure if 2GB will be enough
8 >> since if you're running X and have apps open (Firefox, etc), RAM might
9 >> get pretty tight and tmpfs will swap out to disk.
10 >>
11 > I have /var/tmp on ext4 with delayed allocation on ext4 and 8GB RAM.
12 > For me tmpfs wasn't worth the hassle, so i dropped it.
13
14 Well, I don't see any kind of hassle anyway. All it takes is a line in
15 fstab. Certainly less hassle than using a real filesystem; that would
16 be hassle (you need a partition for it). Note that tmpfs does not use
17 RAM at all if you don't put something in there. And /var/tmp/portage is
18 always emptied after a successful emerge, and even swapped out if needed.