From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:18:24
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > I'm on ext4 with delayed allocation enabled, but I still see GUI
4 > lock-ups when emerging without tmpfs (and I do have nice 19 and ionice
5 > idle). There are a few lock-ups even with tmpfs, but not as severe as
6 > without it. But I do have 6GB RAM. Not sure if 2GB will be enough
7 > since if you're running X and have apps open (Firefox, etc), RAM might
8 > get pretty tight and tmpfs will swap out to disk.
9 >
10 I have /var/tmp on ext4 with delayed allocation on ext4 and 8GB RAM.
11 For me tmpfs wasn't worth the hassle, so i dropped it. I couldn't tell
12 the difference.
13 I am using that setup on notebook also ( Dell Inspiron 1720 with 4GB RAM
14 and 2x250GB disks in RAID-0), where it works very well...