From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:55:42
1 On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:18:13 +0200
2 Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I have /var/tmp on ext4 with delayed allocation on ext4 and 8GB RAM.
5 > For me tmpfs wasn't worth the hassle, so i dropped it. I couldn't tell
6 > the difference.
7
8 In all this discussion about tmpfs, there has been no mention of the
9 gcc "-pipe" option, which instructs the compiler to use RAM instead
10 creating temporary files. Since gcc is the workhorse of the emerge
11 process, it would seem that the "-pipe" option should accomplish
12 results close to that observed with tmpfs.
13
14 Frank Peters