From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:00:46
1 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:18:13 +0200
3 > Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I have /var/tmp on ext4 with delayed allocation on ext4 and 8GB RAM.
6 >> For me tmpfs wasn't worth the hassle, so i dropped it. I couldn't tell
7 >> the difference.
8 >
9 > In all this discussion about tmpfs, there has been no mention of the
10 > gcc "-pipe" option, which instructs the compiler to use RAM instead
11 > creating temporary files. Since gcc is the workhorse of the emerge
12 > process, it would seem that the "-pipe" option should accomplish
13 > results close to that observed with tmpfs.
14
15 Well, not even close, unfortunately. -pipe just passes the assembly
16 source to the assembler by pipe, nothing else. That's like just 5% of
17 the total I/O involved. The 95% of the rest (reading the source from
18 disk, writing object code, executables, installing it in a faked root
19 environment) is not covered by -pipe. And don't forget the minimized
20 disk fragmentation too since all happens in RAM before merging for real.