From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:10:29
1 Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > Alex Alexander wrote:
3 >
4 >> most packages build fine with a 768M tmpfs :)
5 >> if you plan on compiling big stuff like gcc you'll need to make it
6 >> larger or unmount it though.
9 > With ext4 useable, is it still practicall to fiddle with thmfs for
10 > building ?
11 > Ext4 can be configured so that it defers writing for significant amounts
12 > of time, which means that it should perform closer to tmpfs performance,
13 > without headaches, associated with it.
14 >
15 > Using aggressive settings might increase risk of data loss, but notebook
16 > is by its nature battery backed and so prone to most of the issues...
17
18 I'm on ext4 with delayed allocation enabled, but I still see GUI
19 lock-ups when emerging without tmpfs (and I do have nice 19 and ionice
20 idle). There are a few lock-ups even with tmpfs, but not as severe as
21 without it. But I do have 6GB RAM. Not sure if 2GB will be enough
22 since if you're running X and have apps open (Firefox, etc), RAM might
23 get pretty tight and tmpfs will swap out to disk.