From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 19:21:02
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:20:29 -0600
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> >
6 >> > I have never used udev/eudev/mdev or anything similar and, if I am allowed
7 >> > to nave a choice, I never will.
8 >>
9 >> You will always have that choice, since the software is free.
12 > That's not true anymore. My USB scanners will not operate unless udev
13 > is able to create an entry within the /dev tree.
14 >
15 > Fortunately, I was able to discover a work-around that does not require
16 > udev, but the point is that freedom of choice is starting to disappear.
17 > Udev will eventually be the *only* way to deal with hardware.
18
19 While I understand your point these two comments contradict each
20 other, or more accurately, the first was inaccurate in the sense that
21 someone needed to create your /dev entry, either udev or you, it
22 didn't matter. Once it was there your scanner worked, correct?
23
24 Again, I do understand the concern. Never having run systemd I have it
25 also. However the more I read the more tame the concerns seem to be.
26 They do, however, still exist...
27
28 - Mark