From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 21:52:05
1 On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:20:50 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > While I understand your point these two comments contradict each
6 > other, or more accurately, the first was inaccurate in the sense that
7 > someone needed to create your /dev entry, either udev or you, it
8 > didn't matter. Once it was there your scanner worked, correct?
11 With USB devices things are a bit different. If I plug in a USB
12 gadget, the kernel will report a certain device. If I then unplug
13 it and then immediately replug it, the kernel will report a different
14 device even though it is the same USB gadget. For this reason, udev
15 can alleviate the uncertainty by automagically constructing the
16 correct device node.
17
18 However, until recently, USB scanners were accessed through a kernel
19 module and this allowed a static node to be created in the /dev tree.
20 Using the kernel module access, SANE could always find the scanner.
21 For some reason, the scanner module has been eliminated from the
22 kernel and now udev is unconditionally necessary for scanner access
23 (unless the user employs an awkward workaround).
24
25 This represents the future trend. Udev will be an absolute, total
26 requirement for everything.
27
28 Admittedly, my views are in the (exteme?) minority. So it's goodbye
29 simplicity and hello complicated junk.
30
31 I used to have a lot of fun building and tweaking my Linux system,
32 but that experience is fading fast.
33
34 Frank Peters