From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 22:00:32
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > This represents the future trend. Udev will be an absolute, total
4 > requirement for everything.
7 There are other scenarios where things can break down.
8
9 I was using two pl2303 usb rs232 adapters with mythtv as
10 channel-changers and it required some udev rules to ensure that I
11 could get consistent names for each one. Otherwise they are
12 indistinguishable and the kernel doesn't really care how they end up
13 getting named. (I ended up mapping them to physical ports and
14 assigning symlinks accordingly).
15
16 This sort of thing isn't uncommon with usb. For many users you can
17 definitely get by without udev, but honestly I don't see why you'd
18 want to. It is really nice to be able to use disks based on labels,
19 uuids, and so on. Udev adds a lot of convenience features beyond just
20 giving me a /dev/sda or whatever.
21
22 Rich