From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 22:02:48
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:20:50 -0800
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> While I understand your point these two comments contradict each
7 >> other, or more accurately, the first was inaccurate in the sense that
8 >> someone needed to create your /dev entry, either udev or you, it
9 >> didn't matter. Once it was there your scanner worked, correct?
12 > With USB devices things are a bit different. If I plug in a USB
13 > gadget, the kernel will report a certain device. If I then unplug
14 > it and then immediately replug it, the kernel will report a different
15 > device even though it is the same USB gadget. For this reason, udev
16 > can alleviate the uncertainty by automagically constructing the
17 > correct device node.
20 OK, fair enough. However from the outside udev doesn't look like
21 magic, at least the way I used it as it's mostly about my modifying
22 some file to say 'this USB ID is this dev, this MAC address is this
23 network', and so on and so on.
24
25 While I'm arguably the least experienced person on this list I'm sure
26 someone with your skills could figure out your own scripts to do that
27 sort of thing, should you choose to.
28
29 > However, until recently, USB scanners were accessed through a kernel
30 > module and this allowed a static node to be created in the /dev tree.
31 > Using the kernel module access, SANE could always find the scanner.
32 > For some reason, the scanner module has been eliminated from the
33 > kernel and now udev is unconditionally necessary for scanner access
34 > (unless the user employs an awkward workaround).
35 >
36 > This represents the future trend. Udev will be an absolute, total
37 > requirement for everything.
38 >
39 > Admittedly, my views are in the (exteme?) minority. So it's goodbye
40 > simplicity and hello complicated junk.
41 >
42 > I used to have a lot of fun building and tweaking my Linux system,
43 > but that experience is fading fast.
44 >
45 > Frank Peters
49 Well Frank, you and I have been around here long enough to remember
50 each other and get old enough to start forgetting how long we've been
51 around here. Like you it used to be more fun. Probably like you I used
52 to be a lot younger too! :-)
53
54 Cheers,
55 Mark