From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Is there any difference with 4 core?
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:18:58
1 Hi,
2
3 Need some more advice.
4
5 Now the question is, is it better to go with 2 core or 4 core?
6
7 The reason for this question is, that I heard there is a diminishing
8 return with more cores. Not sure if this is true with kernel 2.6.21 and
9 running at 64bit.
10
11 The server needed to built is for the following apps.
12
13 Hardware.
14 1. Tyan Tank GT20 (B5191)
15 2. 2 x Sata drives
16 3. Software raid 1
17 4. 4Gb ram ecc
18 5. Intel Core2Duo E6420 or Intel Core2Quad E6600
19
20 Apps.
21 1. Gentoo linux 64bit
22 2. Apache 2
23 3. MySql
24 4. Postgres
25 5. Qmail
26 6. Pure-ftpd
27 7. Mod_perl
28 8. php
29 9. ruby
30
31 Will all the instances of the apps be shared among the cores?
32
33 Please share the comments.
34
35 I would really like to save some money. If the 2 core can do the job
36 there is quite a bit of savings buying just the 2 core.
37
38 The other option is just to go with Pentium D with 2 core. That one is a
39 real saver.
40
41 Please advice.
42