From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is there any difference with 4 core?
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:47:57
1 P.V.Anthony, mused, then expounded:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Need some more advice.
5 >
6 > Now the question is, is it better to go with 2 core or 4 core?
7 >
8 > The reason for this question is, that I heard there is a diminishing
9 > return with more cores. Not sure if this is true with kernel 2.6.21 and
10 > running at 64bit.
13 As far as the kernel is concerned, there are no issues. I've run on
14 a 1024 shared memory ccNUMA system and regularly started up and killed
15 1024 jobs withiout problems.
16
17 > The server needed to built is for the following apps.
18 >
19 > Hardware.
20 > 1. Tyan Tank GT20 (B5191)
21 > 2. 2 x Sata drives
22 > 3. Software raid 1
23 > 4. 4Gb ram ecc
24 > 5. Intel Core2Duo E6420 or Intel Core2Quad E6600
27 The Intel platform does not scale all that well. Plus it has
28 limited I/O abilities. You will find a lot of issues with
29 high i/o bandwidth simultanous applications.
30
31 That said, it compiles like a screaming banshee. We currenly
32 run ongoing testing on a small cluster of something like the
33 above - 16 blades with quad core cpus (128P), running diskless
34 over dual Infiniband links to lead and login nodes, dual core
35 1U boxes with hardware raid.
36
37 > Apps.
38 > 1. Gentoo linux 64bit
39 > 2. Apache 2
40 > 3. MySql
41 > 4. Postgres
42 > 5. Qmail
43 > 6. Pure-ftpd
44 > 7. Mod_perl
45 > 8. php
46 > 9. ruby
47 >
48 > Will all the instances of the apps be shared among the cores?
51 Good question. Without something like cpu sets, the sharing won't
52 be equal amoung all cpus.
53
54 > Please share the comments.
55 >
56 > I would really like to save some money. If the 2 core can do the job
57 > there is quite a bit of savings buying just the 2 core.
60 Regardless of Intel platform, FSB saturaton will ocur due to the
61 ancient bus. Additionally, unless you run 4-dimms, max memory
62 bandwidth will not be achieved. Typically for the Intel 5000
63 chipset the motherboards have 8 DIMM slots. I see the one in the
64 tank only has 6. Intel's northbridge came split the data up
65 over 4 dimms to maximize bandwidth. It's important to performance.
66
67 Additionally, there are other power savings issues to note -
68
69 Woodcrest (dual core) does not support EIST (enhanced speed step)
70 Clovertwon (quad core) does support EIST
71 Memory should be run in performance mode. Allowing memory to
72 be set into dynamic power mode (power savings) will decrease
73 the max available bandwidth.
74 Of the power saving software, powernowd allows better tuning and
75 response to load changes. Much better than cpufreqd.
79 > The other option is just to go with Pentium D with 2 core. That one is a
80 > real saver.
83 And it's a crappy cpu. Don't waste you're money. Any AMD cpu running
84 at half it's speed will eat it alive.
85
86 Bob
87 -
88 --