From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Recent clock problems
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:32:56
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Just in the last week or so my AMD64 machine has started to exhibit
3 > problems with the clock. Maybe it's a hardware problem, or possibly
4 > it's some new ntpd issue after updates. At boot time it seems to be
5 > coming up with semi-random times. This is causing me to ask a few
6 > questions and try to learn a bit more about how this actually works
7 > under Linux. Thanks in advance.
8
9 I would guess ntpd, which is part of why I use net-misc/openntpd
10 instead of regular ntpd (which I used to use).
11
12 The battery doesn't have to be bad, it just has to be making a poor
13 connection, so you might try taking it out and putting it back
14 in. This sometimes clears up other problems as well, by power-cycling
15 parts that don't normally get power-cycled. (I had to do it once after
16 a BIOS flash upgrade.)
19 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
20 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
21 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
22 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)