From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Recent clock problems
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:43:06
1 Hello,
2 Just in the last week or so my AMD64 machine has started to exhibit
3 problems with the clock. Maybe it's a hardware problem, or possibly
4 it's some new ntpd issue after updates. At boot time it seems to be
5 coming up with semi-random times. This is causing me to ask a few
6 questions and try to learn a bit more about how this actually works
7 under Linux. Thanks in advance.
8
9 QUESTION 1: UTC vs. local
10
11 In /etc/conf.d/clock I can choose UTC vs. local. Does this refer to
12 the time I set in the hardware clock or something else? Nominally it's
13 easier sitting here in California to set the hardware clock to
14 California time. Is there any problem with doing this? If I understand
15 the comments I should be using 'local' but the default seemed to be
16 UTC.
17
18 QUESTION 2: date
19
20 date only sets a software clock, correct? Is this all the system uses
21 after boot?
22
23 QUESTION 3: hwclock -w
24
25 This is supposed to write the time in the system's software clock into
26 hardware, correct?
27
28 QUESTION 4:
29
30 Does ntpd actually update the system clock, or is it another layer yet
31 on top. If I use ntpd and then do hwclock -w does an accurate time get
32 written to the hardware clock?
33
34 Thanks in advance for your help.
35