From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sempron make options
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:17:23
1 Alvin Thompson posted <1127513537.21021.41.camel@×××××××××.localdomain>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:12:17 -0400:
3
4 > anyone know what the best make options are for sempron processors?
5 > should i use athlon or amd64 or something else?
6
7 To date (thru 4.0.1), gcc treats all the amd64 family the same -- they are
8 all aliased to each other, so to with them, it doesn't matter.
9
10 I've seen some debate on the the newer processors, however, which have
11 sse3, sempron included, AFAIK, and can't say I know enough about that to
12 say for sure what's best there. For the vast majority of packages, any of
13 the amd64 aliases will be optimal as they'd not likely use sse3 anyway.
14 The exception would be any heavy multimedia or video, particularly
15 encoding and decoding, but also possibly xorg/mesa. On that stuff, sse3
16 could make a difference and I don't know what would be best. (Note that in
17 practice, support for sse3, as the newest addition in any case, may not be
18 fully optimized yet, particularly on 64-bit. Look for better support there
19 by gcc 4.1 or 4.2, after the potential of gcc 4 has had some time to
20 mature as well.)
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
26 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list