From: Alvin Thompson <alvin-gentoo@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sempron make options
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:26:11
1 On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 05:13 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > To date (thru 4.0.1), gcc treats all the amd64 family the same -- they are
3 > all aliased to each other, so to with them, it doesn't matter.
4
5 so i should use the x86 version of gentoo with amd64 make flags? does
6 that mean i need to somehow use gcc 4.0.1 when bootstrapping?
7
8 > I've seen some debate on the the newer processors, however, which have
9 > sse3, sempron included, AFAIK, and can't say I know enough about that to
10 > say for sure what's best there. For the vast majority of packages, any of
11 > the amd64 aliases will be optimal as they'd not likely use sse3 anyway.
12 > The exception would be any heavy multimedia or video, particularly
13 > encoding and decoding, but also possibly xorg/mesa. On that stuff, sse3
14 > could make a difference and I don't know what would be best. (Note that in
15 > practice, support for sse3, as the newest addition in any case, may not be
16 > fully optimized yet, particularly on 64-bit. Look for better support there
17 > by gcc 4.1 or 4.2, after the potential of gcc 4 has had some time to
18 > mature as well.)
19
20 err, that's just confusing me so i'll just ignore it. :)
21
22 thanks,
23 alvin
26 Alvin Thompson